Did you know that the last Thursday during the month of August is known as “Thoughtful Thursday”? If you didn’t, that’s okay, because I had no clue either! But, today is that day!
So what is Thoughtful Thursday, exactly?
Thoughtful Thursday is a day to be mindful of others; whether it be at work, home, or school. It is a day to take the time to think of others and how you can be more considerate or thoughtful of them.
Thoughtful Thursday is actually part of “Be Kind to Humankind Week” which was established in 1988 by a woman named Lorraine Jara. She started this week after reading a story about two young men in her town of Toms River, New Jersey, who had flipped over in a rowboat. Two women passed by in their boat and pulled them out, but they did not have a radio to call for help. Several other boats passed them by, and they had radios, but refused to stop and help because they “couldn’t be bothered to”. One of the men ended up dying. Lorraine was so saddened to hear this that she started “Be Kind to Humankind Week” as a way to honor the deceased man.
So what are some ways you can observe “Thoughtful Thursday”?
Here are some ideas…
- Hold doors open for people behind you
- Allow a person with fewer items behind you at the store go in front of you
- Leave a nice note for a coworker or classmate
- Bring a special treat to work to share with your coworkers
- Send a special “thinking of you” text to a family member or friend
- Cook your family their favorite meal
- Invite a friend out for lunch or coffee
- Pay it forward at the drive-thru
- Pick up trash at the park
- Leave your delivery driver and extra tip
Take this day as a time to be thankful and mindful of others! Not only will you help others feel good, but you will feel great for bringing others joy and happiness