The Sherman Room: Local History and Genealogy
The John Sherman Room houses the Library’s collection of genealogical resources as well as Mansfield, Richland County and Ohio historical materials. While none of the items in the Sherman Room may be checked-out, they are available to the public the following times:
Monday 9 AM-8 PM
Tuesday-Friday 9 AM-5 PM evening hours by appointment
Saturday 9 AM-1 PM afternoon hours by appointment
Find Out More About the Sherman Room's Resources
Local History Resources
- Businesses, Churches, Schools, Biographies of notable locals
- Family histories
- Richland County histories
- Indexes of local wills, early property owners and marriages
- Cemetery indexes for Richland and Crawford Counties
- City directories 1858 present, Richland County directories
- Telephone directories 1904 present
- Local author collection
- Historical atlases of Richland and surrounding counties
- Local clipping file
- Annual Reports for local businesses
- Local photo file
- Ohio County/City histories
- Indexes of Ohio Soldiers during the Civil War
- Ohio census indexes
General Genealogy Resources
- Daughters of the American Revolution Lineage Books
- Passenger Lists Germans to America, Italians to America series
- Various research aids
- Four microfilm reader/copiers, one with email capabilities
- Mansfield newspapers 1823 - present (some gaps exist)
- Scattered Richland County newspapers
- Selected Ohio and Pennsylvania Census records
- Sanborn fire maps for Mansfield
- Sturges family papers
- Board of Richland County Commissioners Journals 1872 1903
- Richland County Probate Court Naturalization Records 1852 1906
- Richland County Children’s Home Record of Indentures 1880 1917
Want to know more about the local history collections in The Sherman Room? Check out the Sherman Room Spotlight Collection!
- Mansfield Newspaper index 1828 1909, 1952 present Search it Now!
- (primarily obituaries, marriages, births)
- Ancestry Library-Edition (limited to in-library use)
- Newspaper Archive (Main Library only)
- Sherman Room Photo file index of local photograph collection
- Your Ancestor in the Military
Looking for Research Assistance?
To request assistance or microfilm copies, researchers may call, email or send their request through the mail.
Mansfield/Richland County Public Library Sherman Room
43 West Third Street
Mansfield, OH 44902
Costs for copies $1.00 per copy.
No charge for an emailed scan.