It is again that time of year when backpacks, pencils, and homework replace vacations, ice cream cones, and swimming. This month’s story time topic will get everyone in the mood for learning as they go back to school!
Miss Mary from Main Library gathered some great back-to-school books for her program Back to School Fun @ the Library. These books are awesome for both new and returning students.
Back to School Book List (Word Document/.doc)
No story time would be complete without music! Try these songs to get your kids into the school spirit:
- Jim Gill Makes It Noisy in Boise, Idaho (Track 3: Stick to the Glue)
- Reggae For Kids (Track 11: Back To School)
- Share a Smile! by Laughing Pizza (Track 3: Back To School)
Don’t forget to include a cool craft to round out your story time! Miss Mary suggests making a pom pom pencil topper. To make one, you will need a pencil, a pom pom, a pipe cleaner, and googly eyes. Make sure you use plenty of glue to attach two eyes to the pom pom and the pom pom to the top of the pencil. Then attach the pipe cleaner to the pencil as arms.
These other craft ideas will make back to school even more awesome:
- Pipecleaner and Bead Bagtags to decorate backpacks and bags
- Backpack Buddies and Backpack Monsters to hang on a backpack or to share with friends
- Good Luck Charm for anxious kiddos
- Printable School Bookmarks to print and use at school and home