The weather outside is NOT frightful, so we’re going to celebrate by having a picnic-themed story time! The sunny summer days are ideal for packing up some food and scouting out that perfect picnic spot–whether it is at the beach, the park, in the woods, or at home in your very own backyard, any choice will do.
Before you go, you might want to read some great stories to get ready. We’ve picked some of our favorites, but it was hard, because we have SO many favorites! From a single giant bear to hundreds of tiny ants, there may be some welcome and unwelcome guests at your picnic. Be sure to bring the bug spray along just in case!
Music is next, so be sure to check out some of these terrific songs:
- Ants Go Marching (track 9; Songs, Stories & Friends: Let’s Go Play CD by Charlie Hope)
- Going on a Picnic (track 17; Happy Everything CD by Dr. Jean)
- Ladybug Picnic (track 3; You Are My Sunshine CD by Elizabeth Mitchell)
- Picnic Party (track 8; Songs, Stories & Friends: Let’s Go Play CD by Charlie Hope)
- Teddy Bears’ Picnic (track 1; Teddy Bears’ Picnic CD by Gary Rosen)
Finally, how about some crafts that are just right for little hands? Here are some of our favorite crafts with a picnic theme:
- Packing for a Picnic: food that starts with the letter P & picnic basket
- Picnic Blanket collage
- Picnic coloring page
- Teddy Bear Picnic Basket craft
- Teddy Bears’ Picnic coloring page
- Watermelon craft
We hope you are enjoying the awesome summer weather and have lots of opportunities to go outdoors to eat, play, explore, and read!