April 14-20 is National Library Week!
That’s great for you, but for us, every month is Library Month, every week is Library Week and every day is Library Day! We don’t typically do things much differently around here because we always love helping people find books and information, read books in story time, and offer movies and music for your entertainment — and we do that every day — so this week is business as usual.
If you need additional reasons why you should come to the library (apart from the most obvious ones), then read on. You may find some great new reasons to come to the library this week and see what we have to offer.
- Did you know that the library offers computer classes? We’ve got classes including basics like help with word processing and spreadsheets, tips on staying safe online, and information about eReaders. We also offer individualized help in the computer lab at the Main Library, which is open whenever the library is open.
- Job searching and resume preparation have never been easier. We’ve got resources galore for helping adults and youth gain employment.
- In addition to programs and story time for young children, the library also offers programs for adults and teens. Each branch location has their own schedule, but you can check out all the goings-on in our newsletter, At The Library, which is published quarterly.
- The library has a conference room and a community room that the public is welcome to use. For free! All you have to do is check our community calendar for availability, then call 419-521-3100 to reserve a room.
- Cub Scout packs and Girl Scout troops love coming to the library for a quick tour, which can include the Sherman Room and a focus on local history. We can also show you how to use the microfilm machine and your scouts can find out what happened in Mansfield on any certain day using the newspaper archive and index.
- We offer a huge selection of eBooks and eAudiobooks that you can check out from home! All you need to do is get your device ready and follow the directions we’ve outlined for you. If you need one-on-one help, the computer lab staff are only a call or visit away. We also subscribe to BookFlix, an online literary resource for children in preschool through third grade and their parents that pairs classic video storybooks with related nonfiction eBooks to build a love of reading and learning. This is something you can access at home with a valid library card and your children can enjoy books just right for them on their computer or tablet.
- Do you ever wonder what you as a parent can do to make sure your child is successful in school? The library has numerous resources available to help with early literacy and kindergarten readiness. We can also recommend books to help struggling readers improve their skills.
- We don’t carry every single book ever published, but if we don’t have a book you want, chances are that we can get it from another library for free. We are linked with SearchOhio, a consortium of other Ohio libraries, that allow their items to be checked out at other libraries. We also have the capability of connecting with many of the state’s public and private universities and technical colleges through OhioLink.
Thanks for stopping by. We hope you have found lots of reasons to visit the library during National Library Week — not that you ever even need a reason to come see what’s new!