Thanksgiving is almost here–that means it’s time to start thinking about all the things we are thankful for, and family usually is pretty high up on the list for most of us. This year, as you gather together, take a moment to share why you are thankful for your loved ones. Stories about moms, dads, brothers, and sisters are sure to engage the whole family. Even if you live far away, you can share real tales about aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents to acquaint your children with distant family members.
If you can’t think of any (appropriate!) family stories for sharing, consider one of these great books from the library:
Here are some rhymes and fingerplays to make your story time even better.
How about some music to liven things up a bit? These are some of the best songs about families.
- The Family Garden (song: The Family Garden, #2)
- Family Tree (song: Family Tree, #1)
- Grow It At Home (song: I Love My Family, #12)
- Buzz Buzz (song: Pig on Her Head, #3)
We also have some links to crafts that are perfect for this theme.
- “F” is for Family coloring page
- Family Favorites Chart from Crayola
- Family Finger Puppets from Crayola
- I am Thankful for Family! coloring page
- Thanksgiving Placemat (free–just print and color!)
Whether you like to read fiction or nonfiction, picture books or chapter books, we have what you want! We are happy to help you find just the right book for you and your family to celebrate … families!