Kevin Henkes is a name steadfastly rooted in children’s literature, and it’s a name that has only gotten bigger over the years. Henkes’ work for children, from picture books to novels, has shown both a flexibility in his storytelling and his astounding ability to create new, interesting stories with every new book. With a Newberry Honor for Olive’s Ocean (2004), a Caldecott Honor for Owen (1994), and a Caldecott Medal for Kitten’s First Full Moon (2005), Henkes has proven himself to be an author/illustrator worthy of such laurels.
So today, November 27th, we say Happy Birthday to Kevin Henkes and invite you to explore his works! We have our personal favorites of his works (though admittedly it’s hard to pick – all of his books are wonderful!) Select from this list below, or follow the last link to search the catalog for all of his books.
Other resources to explore:
- Kevin Henkes blogs about Little White Rabbit on TeachingBooks.net
- More videos of Kevin Henkes talking about his career and his books on TeachingBooks.net
- Review of Junonia, Henkes’ latest work, from the NY Times
- A Q & A with Kevin Henkes about his Caldecott-winning book, Kitten’s First Full Moon
- Activities for Little White Rabbit (PDF file)