Brrr! It’s getting chilly out there! This cooler weather always signals the beginning of fall, which means shorter days and brilliant colors on the trees. (And as I’m looking outside right now, some rainy days too!) Fall always makes me think of clear night skies, pumpkins, big piles of leaves, bonfires, and apple cider.
Books about fall, or autumn are always popular with teachers, parents, and the younger school-aged children, but we have so many great books about leaves, squirrels, apples, pumpkins, and lots of other fall things for older children as well. Want to know about the life cycle of a pumpkin? I highly recommend Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden by George Levenson. And Colors of Fall by Laura Purdie Salas is a fun book that takes you through the beautiful colors you’ll see during this wonderful time of year, but the book is written with older students in mind.
Below are some of our favorite books about fall and all things fall-centric. The list below the collage follows the flow of the collage from left to right and clockwise, so you can easily keep track of which book you’re interested in. The list is also linked directly to our online catalog, allowing you easy access to your account and allowing you to place holds.
List of recommended Fall/Autumn/Apple/Pumpkin/Leaf Books (in alphabetical order by title):
- A is for Autumn by Robert Maass
- Animals in Fall by Martha E.H. Rustad
- Autumn Leaves by Ken Robbins
- By the Light of the Harvest Moon by Harriet Ziefert
- Colors of Fall by Laura Purdie Salas
- Fall Leaves Fall! by Zoe Hall
- Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert
- Leaf Trouble by Jonathan Emmett
- Mouse’s First Fall by Lauren Thompson
- Piggies in the Pumpkin Patch by Mary Peterson and Jennifer Rofé
- Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden by George Levenson
- Pumpkins by Ken Robbins
- Red are the Apples by Marc Harshman and Cheryl Ryan
- Seed, Sprout, Fruit: An Apple Tree Life Cycle by Shannon Knudsen
- Shrinking Days, Frosty Nights: Poems About Fall by Laura Purdie Salas
- The Ugly Pumpkin by Dave Horowitz
- The Very Best Pumpkin by Mark Kimball Moulton