Learning your ABCs is the very first step to becoming a reader. Your library has what we refer to as “concept books” which contain basic knowledge that without a thorough understanding of, we wouldn’t function very well on a day to day basis. When we find ABCs, 123s, colors, shapes, opposites, seasons, telling time, and other concepts in picture books, we label these books with a special blue sticker before putting them on our shelves. The stickers are to help you and us find these great books and get them in the hands of your youngest readers.
You’ll find concept books in every branch of M/RCPL and if you’re looking for just the right ABC book to get your child started on the right path to recognizing their letters, here is a list of some great alphabet picture books you can both share!
- A is for Art: An Abstract Alphabet by Stephen Johnson
- A is for Autumn by Robert Maass
- ABC Safari by Karen Lee
- ABC x 3: English, Español, and Francais by Marthe Joceyln
- ABC: Letters in the Library by Bonnie Farmer
- Apple Pie ABC by Alison Murray
- Astonishing Animal ABC by Charles Fuge
- The Bouncing, Dancing, Galloping ABC by Charlotte Doyle
- Creature ABC by Andrew Zuckerman
- Goodnight Moon, ABC based on the book by Margaret Wise Brown
- My Name Starts With S by Larry Hayes
- The Construction Alphabet Book by Jerry Pallotta
- Wild Alphabet: An A to Zoo Pop-Up Book by Mike Haines