Outside is All Right!
Whether it’s raining buckets or sweltering in the hot summer sun, kids love to be outside. There are so many fun things to do this summer that get the kids off the couch and away from the TV and video games. You only have to look as far as your own backyard to be inspired for some fun activities that the whole family will love.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Go for a flashlight walk after dark. See which things look unusual or different at nighttime versus in the daytime.
- Have a picnic on the lawn for lunch. You don’t have to prepare anything fancy; just take your food outside and sit on a blanket!
- Make a scavenger hunt. Take your digital camera and snap random pictures of things in your yard. Have the kids go through the list and find all the items in order.
- Combine two regular games into one amazing game. Mix together golf and baseball to make Goffle, or sack racing and tag to make Sag.
- Have a family field day. Stay in shape by competing with each other in relay races, feats of strength, and various other track and field events.
- Bring out your inner artist. Decorate the driveway or sidewalks with brightly colored chalk. Stack piles of painted rocks in the garden or flower beds.
So enjoy spending some quality time together this summer in the great outdoors. You’ll stay busy and create some long-lasting memories in the process.
Other Links to Explore
- Badges of Fun: Backyard Fun
- Into the Wild: Outdoor Play
- Fun Outdoor Activities for Kids
- Spending Time Outdoors Good for Kids’ Eyes
- Make Your Own Backyard Obstacle Course
Here are some books that will help you pick the best outdoor adventures for your family.