Adult Services Aide
Reports to: Adult Services/AV Coordinator
Posted until 3/20/13. Only applicants chosed for interviews will be notified.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Under direct supervision of the Adult/AV Services Coordinator, shelves and maintains library materials in proper order.
- Must have a high school diploma, or educational equivalent
- Mental alertness, focus, and attention to detail
- Library policy and procedures (may be acquired after hire)
- Library online circulation system and catalog (may be acquired after hire)
- Dewey Decimal System (may be acquired after hire)
- Alphabetization principles
- Safe work practices
Skills and Abilities to:
- Read and understand English
- Communicate effectively with staff , customers and supervisor
- Follow written and verbal instructions accurately
- Ability to sort, shelve and retrieve materials alphabetically and numerically
- Carry out assigned projects
- Work independently in the absence of supervision, as well as with a team
- Extensive standing, walking, bending, stretching, stooping, pushing, lifting materials and furniture, including loaded book carts weighing 40-60 lbs.
- Usually performs job in areas where seating cannot be provided
- Carry out essential duties and responsibilities reliably within 4 weeks of on-the-job experience and training
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Note: The duties listed below illustrate but do not limit the tasks performed by this classification.
- Shelves adult materials, in a variety of formats
- Shelf reads materials by checking for proper sequence, shifting and straightening as needed and keeping specific sections in order
- Discards portions of the newspaper collection once a week
- Discards portions of the magazine collections once a month
- Bring materials in poor/damaged/ missing condition to the attention of the supervisor, and/or reference staff
- Picks up loose materials in the department and shelves them in their proper location, daily
- Answers simple directional questions
- Performs miscellaneous housekeeping tasks, including straightening tables and chairs, cleaning debris from adult stack areas, collect department materials that need re-shelving at the end of the day, etc.
- Assist with a variety of light clerical duties as assigned
- Attend meetings as scheduled by the Adult/AV Coordinator
- Adheres to, supports and effectively implements Administration and Board policy, procedures and core values
- Fill in as aide in other departments, at supervisor’s request
- Retrieval of materials from the stacks as required
- Performs additional duties and assignments, as requested
Download an Application « Back to All Jobs