Summer Library Program 2013
Get ready for a Summer full of reading fun! Your Library is exploring the wonders of what lies beneath the ground with "Dig Into Reading!" Starting Monday, June 3, 2013, you can sign up for the Summer Library Program (or SLP as we like to call it) and read your way to a free book!
So how does the Summer Library Program work? It's really pretty simple!
- Sign up any time between June 3 and July 27 at any of our 9 locations. Be aware that where you sign up is where you will visit each week to complete the program.
- Get a Reading Record to take home when you sign up. Color one picture on the Reading Record for every 15 minutes of reading. You can read to yourself, someone else, or have someone read to you!
- Bring your completed Reading Record back to the Library and and earn a trip to the Treasure Chest! (Maximum of five trips to the Treasure Chest.)
- After five weekly visits and five completed Reading Records, you earn your very own free Paperback Book of your choice! Use it to start your own library at home!
What else is going on this Summer at the Mansfield/Richland County Public Library? LOTS!
(Note: Sign-up is NOT required for performers. Just stop in and be a part of the audience - and maybe part of the show!)
- Come in for "more fun that a kid (or parent) should be allowed to have!" Chip Richter will bring high-energy fun and original tunes to the library during Chip Richter's Family Concert!
- "Dig Into Reading" with Mike Hemmelgarn as he presents a unique blend of comedy, juggling, magic, and ventriloquism for the whole family! Find out the joy of digging into good books and you won't want to miss his grand finale!
- Find out how Mark Wood digs reading and help him search for the mysterious "golden nugget" during the Mark Wood Fun Show: I Dig Reading! Comedy, magic, rope spinning and more!
- Come to the library and meet Jungle Terry and his safari animals! Learn about a wide array of animals from around the world.
- Get a glimpse of West Africa with Sogbety Diomande! Drumming and dance, colorful costumes, musical instruments, rhythms, and songs are all part of West African Rythm with Sogbety!
- Dig your way into an underground adventure with Dave Lehman and find magic coins, a magic water pump, and a silly worm that turns into a bunny! An Underground Magic Adventure with Dave Lehman is sponsored by Richland Bank.
We will also have plenty of other events for you to attend! Come and explore what's underground with us!
(Note: Check with your favorite Library location to see which of the following programs they will be hosting. Sign up is required for all of these programs unless otherwise stated.)
Programs for All Ages
- Can We Build It? Big machines can dig, dump, and drive. Join us for fun stories and activities about big machines, tools, and the people who use them.
- Digging Up Dinos Tyrannosaurus, Stegosaurus, and Triceratops! Dinosaurs walked the Earth millions of years ago! Come to the library as we dig into some dinosaur and fossil fun including stories, games, and crafts!
- Let's Rock! Do you like seeing, touching, and finding rocks, minerals, and gems? Are you a rock hound? Join us at the library for some rockin' stories, activities, and even make a craft!
- Nitty Gritty Garden Fun Soil, water, seeds, and sun...just how do you make a garden grow? Join us here and you will know. Stories and songs we'll share with you, and a little sprout to take home too!
- Wonderful, Wild, Wacky, Wiggly Worms We all know that earthworms are sticky, slimy, and squishy! But did you know that earthworms have an important role in the garden? Or that they can re-grow lost parts? Come learn all about wiggly worms and make a craft to take home.
Programs for School-Aged Children (6 and up)
- Dig Into the Past Do you like to dig in the dirt? Find things that are lost? Learn about the past? These are all things archaeologists do--maybe you'd like to be one, too! Come to the library and find out!
- Fairies, Elves and Gnomes--Oh My! Discover the ways of these tricky little creatures. Come to the library and make some mischief with us!
- How Neat! Life Under Your Feet? Do you think there's nothing but dirt to be found under the ground? Come have some fun while we discover more about the hidden world of underground animals.
- Read and Learn with the Magic Tree House We're going traveling with Jack and Annie, and you're invited to join us! We will talk about all the places they've gone in their "Magic Tree House" and learn some cool facts along the way. We may go to the moon, to the arctic, or even back in time, so come prepared for fun!
Finally, if you need more Reading Records or want a copy of our schedule early (or can't find the the one you received when you signed up) but can't get to the Library, you can print them off in PDF format:
SLP 2013 Schedule Booklet (PDF document)
Reading Records (PDF Document)
Check back for pictures from SLP 2013!