Services for Children
Want to know what children's programs are going on and what other special information the Services for Children staff members want to share with you?
- Children's Department at Main Library
- Go to a branch page by scrolling down and choosing the branch you wish to visit
Congratulations to the winners of our 2013 Children's Poetry Contest! Read the winning poems on the Family Zone.
Looking for our multimedia page? It has moved to the Family Zone!
The Perfect Picks page showcases books suggested by the Services for Children staff. Our newest round features literary nonfiction books!
Our Family Zone blog hosts book lists for read-alikes and topical interests.
- If You Like...Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
- If You Like...Scary Stories
- If You Want to Read Books About...Death and Dying
- If You Want to Read Books About...Families
The following items can be found in the Children's Department at Main and all the branches:
- Picture Books
- Board Books
- Beginning Reader Books
- Series Books
- Comic Style Novels
- Books on CD/MP3
- Board Games, Puzzles, and Toys
Main Library also has the following:
- Toddler Activity Area (ages 4 and under)
- Puppet Tree
Programs and Services
- Family Story Time (all ages)
- Baby Story Time (Lap Sit) for babies 6-12 months, or who are not walking
- Baby Story Time (Walkers) for babies 12-24 months, or who are walking
- Toddler Story Time (2-3 year olds)
- Preschool and Kindergarten Story Time (4-5 year olds)
Summer Library Program
This annual program encourages children to read and visit the library while out of school. Entertainers and incentives make the program fun!
- After School Specials: Movies, craft programs
- Special Saturday Programs: Wee Read & Play @ Main Library
- Art and Craft Activities: Seasonal and Holiday Make-It/Take-Its
- Special Interest Programs: Marvelous Mondays, Brick Builders Lego® Club, Homeschoolers at the Library
- Tours for groups of children
- Internet and game access computers for children, students and caregivers
- Teacher Classroom Packs
- Access Programs - special library programs for students
- Teacher In-Service programs
- Extended teacher loan period
The Outreach Librarian is available to come to your group or organization to talk about the library and its services for children.
Dial 419.526.BOOK (419.526.2665) to hear a new story each week.