Reading & Literacy Games
On-line Reading Activities
The on-line games and reading require the Flash plug-in from Macromedia. If you follow these links and find the programs do not work, then click here to download the plug-in.
The Starfall learn-to-read website is offered free as a public service. Although this site contains some commercial elements, it contains a vast number of reading activities that teach phonetic reading skills. Primarily designed for first grade, Starfall.com is also useful for pre-kindergarten, kindergarten and second grade. Adult literacy students will also enjoy these free activities.
Words and Pictures: from the BBC
The BBC has also created numerous reading activities for beginning readers. If you wish to try some phonics games and activities, check out Words and Pictures.
Sight Word Games and Activities
Sight Words are words new readers need to master in order to become fluent readers. Students can practice learning these basic reading vocabularies with these activities.
- Twenty-four Matching Games reinforce matching Dolch list basic vocabularies. These games are similar to the Memory game played with cards. As you click on each word, you will hear the word pronounced. The matching word games begin with pre-primer words, then progress through primer, first grade, second grade, and third grade words.
- Picture word games are drag and drop type games. Learners should click on the correct words and drag them to the correct pictures. These games help beginning readers build a bigger vocabulary when they click on and drag words to images of common objects.
- Sentence builder is an activity where the learner can drag words to the correct sentence order and hear them being read. There are only four sentences in this activity.
- Sight word sentences is an interactive story book. Beginning readers can practice their sight word vocabulary while reading a story. Each word in the sentence can be read if the learner mouse clicks the the word. The words are taken from the first 100 words in the Fry basic list. In time, there will be additional stories added for variety.
- All of these activities use spoken instructions and voice cues to assist nonreaders use the activities since they are hearing words on each page.
Counting Games and Activities
A new addition to the games choices give practice in counting change. These games do not teach how to make change, just how to count the coins and bills you have.