Workforce Development at the Library
The Mansfield/Richland County Public Library is a great resource for learning, training, developing, and growing for all ages! We offer access to a wealth of resources for self-development and job searching. We support early literacy and reading for children. We have classes, programs, digital resources & databases, and more available for teens & adults! And we are also involved and working with community organizations.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: ADULTS
Our computer lab staff offers a wealth of workshops, classes, and one-on-one sessions on topics like:
• Job searching
• Résumé and cover letter writing
• Interviewing skills
• Software training (Microsoft Office®, etc.)
• Searching and finding jobs online
• Social media networking (LinkedIn, etc.)
In the computer lab you can also find a new “job searching board” which includes employment opportunities at MRCPL and other local employment listings pulled from Ohio Means Jobs.
We also work with local community organizations, specifically Temp2Higher (a nonprofit workforce development agency), to share and promote these resources.
Besides simply giving customers access to books about any skill or topic they might want to learn about, we also provide access to online training through resources like:
First Call 211
First call fields calls on a wide variety of needs in the community, including employment, referring callers to available resources and services.
EARLY DEVELOPMENT FOR CHILDREN & TEENS
We encourage development for younger aged kids too with technology-rich and science-rich programming:
• ALA Discover Tech Exhibit (2016)
• Minecraft Club
• Fun computer coding classes
• “Tuesday Tinker Table” featuring a 52 weeks of STEAM challenge where we have different engaging science, technology, engineering, art, and math activities for kids and their families.
We participate with the Richland County United Way, the Youth and Family Council and other agencies on the Big Red Bookshelf initiative to get books in the homes of children all over the county!
Early literacy and reading is one of the most important things to cultivate in children and the Library is here to support and encourage it with things like:
- Story Times at the Library and at Child Care Centers
- Gift of Learning Packets for babies containing information for parents on the importance of reading to children at a young age, in cooperation with the Health Department and three local pediatrician’s offices. Packets include a board book, Mother Goose CD, and a library card application.
- Parent education on early literacy using the Every Child Ready to Read curriculum in story times and workshops.