National Children's Book Week
Every May, we celebrate a very special week-long event called Children’s Book Week! This celebration is the longest-running national literacy initiative in the United States, and it celebrates children’s books and reading. This year, Children’s Book Week runs May 12 – 18, and is in its 95th year!
The non-profit organization Every Child a Reader manages the national program each year, while the Children’s Book Council sponsors the event. All 50 states host official Children’s Book Week events, including a Little Reader Snapshot Contest and Indies First Storytime Day, as well as local events.
One of the biggest events during this annual celebration is the Children’s Choice Book Awards Gala. Kids were able to vote on their favorite books, illustrators, and authors by category: kindergarten through second grade, third through fourth grade, and fifth through sixth grade. There is also a Teen Choice Book Awards. The finalists for all categories can be found here. The winners will be announced tonight, May 14, and posted here, or you can live-stream the results from the same site.
Ways you can celebrate Children’s Book Week:
- Start by visiting your library and reading some really cool books!
- Voting for the award has ended but you can find the results here.
- Print off an official CBW bookmark by Steve Jenkins.
- Follow Children’s Book Council on Twitter.
- Find classroom activities and web resources to help you celebrate.
Happy Children’s Book Week!