Internet Use Policy
Acceptable Use of the Internet & Electronic Resources Policy at the Mansfield/Richland County Public Library
The Mansfield/Richland County Public Library offers information resources in response to advances in technology and the changing information needs of the community.
Information on the Internet
The information and resources available on the Internet extend beyond the traditional collections and electronic resources selected by our collection specialists. The Internet is not a monitored environment, and while there is a vast amount of reliable information available on the Internet, not all of the sources there provide accurate, complete or current information; some might even be offensive to some library customers.
The Internet is a rapidly changing environment; the library does not monitor and has no control over the information obtained and is not responsible for its content. Users of the Internet must be responsible for determining that the information they access is acceptable, reliable, and suitable to their needs.
The Library and the Internet
To complement the libraryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s collection of subscription databases, professional librarians have selected sites for inclusion on the libraryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s website according to the criteria defined in the libraryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Collection Development Policy.
Mansfield/Richland County Public Library staff is also available to provide introductory assistance to help identify appropriate sites.
As with all Library materials, parents, guardians and caregivers are responsible for their childrenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s use of the Internet. Library staff cannot control the websites that children may select. Parents are encouraged to work with their children to develop acceptable rules for Internet use.
Use of Workstations
1. Computers may be reserved up to one day in advance in person or by telephone, on a first come, first served basis. Reservations will be held no longer than 10 minutes.
2. Volume of headphones must be kept low to prevent disturbing others.
3. The Library reserves the right to limit the amount of time an individual user can devote to a single computer session. Library cardholders may use up to 180 minutes, per day, depending on computer availability. Guest users 18-years and older must present ID to obtain a guest pass; guests will receive a minimum of 60 minutes of use, with a maximum of 120 minutes per day. Users must adhere to the time limits. Printing must be completed within the userÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s time limit.
4. While staff is available to assist users with the equipment and available software, staff cannot provide in-depth training except for scheduled one-on-one sessions. Availability of one-on-one sessions may be limited in branch locations.
5. Customers wanting to save any information, data or documents must provide their own flash drive and may not save data to the hard disk. The Library is not responsible for damages to a userÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s disk, computer, or any loss of data.
6. Customers are responsible for maintaining their own privacy on web sites they visit. Basic privacy precautions include logging out of email and social networking accounts and closing the browser at the conclusion of the session.
7. Library staff may monitor use of the computers for the limited purpose of ensuring compliance with this Policy, and users hereby consent to such monitoring.
Printing is available at $0.10 per page. Printing is not available via the libraryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s wireless service.
Social Networking Software
The library may use social networking software to facilitate communication and encourage collaboration between library staff and library customers. The library reserves the right to monitor content before it is posted on all of its social networking software websites and accounts, and to modify or remove any messages or postings that it deems, in its sole discretion, to be abusive, defamatory, in violation of copyright, trademark right or other intellectual property right of any third party, or otherwise inappropriate for the service. The library also reserves the right to edit or modify any submissions in response to requests for feedback or other commentary. The library is not obligated to take any such actions, and will not be responsible or liable for content posted by any subscriber in any forum, message board, or other area within the service.
Legal Use of the Internet
The use of the libraryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s electronic resources, including wireless Internet access, to engage in any activity which constitutes violation of local, state, and/or federal laws is strictly prohibited.
Any and all efforts to bypass the security of the library network and any other computer network connected with the library are strictly prohibited.
Customers are prohibited from using library workstations or wireless Internet access to display sexually explicit text or graphics or anything that may be considered harmful to minors, pursuant to state and local laws.
Only authorized copies of copyrighted or licensed materials in compliance with copyright laws are permitted.
All users of the electronic resources of the library agree to hold the Mansfield/Richland County Public Library harmless for any and all claims, losses or damages, obligations or liabilities directly or indirectly relating to the use of the Internet.
Failure to comply with this policy will result in loss of computer privileges. Illegal acts may be subject to prosecution by local, state, or federal authorities.
Examples of misuse include, but are not limited to:
Ã¢â‚¬Â¢ Using Mansfield/Richland County Public Library workstations for any purpose that is illegal or contrary to library policies;
Ã¢â‚¬Â¢ Attempting to modify or gain access to files, passwords or data belonging to others;
Ã¢â‚¬Â¢ Seeking unauthorized access to any other computer system;
Ã¢â‚¬Â¢ Damaging or altering library software or hardware.
The Library does not release information on the use of the Internet by library users except as required by law.
The Board reserves the right to modify this policy at any time.
Adopted 5/20/2014, revised 1/27/2015 Library Board of Trustees